Meatloaf has always been a favorite meal of my wife and I. We look forward to winter arriving if only for the ability to fire up the oven again.
After making a lifestyle change to a plant-based diet, I worked hard to restore our favorite goto comfort food.
Of course, we tried all of the standard recipes (Lentil Bean Loaf) but none of them really did it for us. This recipe is really close in texture and taste.
- 2 cups cooked Steel Cut Oats
- 1 can Kidney Beans (instead of eggs to bind it together)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp Sage
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp ground Ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp Cayenne (optional – it will give it some heat)
- 1/4 cup crushed crackers
- Pepper to taste
- 6 oz can Tomato Paste
- Chop the onion, bell pepper and carrot into 1/4″ to 1/2″ pieces
- Drain, rinse and mash the Kidney Beans
- Place oats, beans, onion, bell pepper, carrot, spices and crackers into a mixing bowl and mix well. Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. They are your best tool for this task!
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and load the mixture into the loaf pan. [ No Oil! ]
- Cook @ 425 degrees F for 60 mins
- Top the loaf with the Tomato Paste and some spices after about 40 mins.
- Check with a toothpick starting at 50 mins or so. All ovens cook differently.
Serve with salad, mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.