Steel Cut Oats
Cooking time: 25 mins; feeds 2 adults
While breakfast is important, it needn’t be complicated. This hearty breakfast is satisfying and nutritious. Only a salad with plenty of dark leafy green vegetables is better for you. Oats are naturally gluten-free and delicious!
We recommend steel cut oats because they are processed less than rolled oats and digest more slowly.
Buy them non-GMO, unprocessed and in bulk to assure they are not contaminated (gluten).
We typically enjoy ours with a tall glass of fresh green juice.
There are 2 popular preparations.
Place one cup steel cut oats into a pan with 3 cups of filtered potable water. Bring to a boil for 1 min, turn heat to a low simmer and then cook for 25 mins. Stir occasionally.
Makes 3 cups of cooked oats.
Place one cup steel cut oats into a pan with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 min. Cover and let sit overnight. In the morning turn on the heat, bring to a boil (heat for 1 min), turn heat to a low simmer and cook for 10 mins. Add some moisture if needed. Most of the moisture will have been soaked into the oats.
- Roast oats before cooking – Place the oats in the pan and roast them for 5-10 mins before adding the water. Be sure to stir often – do not let them burn!
- Add fruit while cooking – several hearty fruits such as Blue Berries make a good addition to the mixture being cooked
- Add some spices such as Cinnamon or Nutmeg
- Add a splash of your favorite plant-based milk and a tsp or so of Maple syrup for a more traditional treatment
- Make it savory – add some Sage, Cumin, Curry or whatever your favorite spices are. See our take on an Oatmeal Loaf for a savory idea.